Jeffo

"Lars Stole" wrote in message
news:2005012308355116807%larsstole@gsbuchicagoedu. ..
I purchased some Honduran Mahogany about 6 months ago and constructed the
legs and rails for a coffee table. Recetnly I purchased some more H.
Mahogany to complete the table top. Unfortunately, the colors of the two
wood are distinctly different - the first batch is significantly darker
(and richer looking) than the second. When you apply tung oil, it is even
more dramatic.

So, is this difference in color because ...
(1) I've been ripped off and sold a lesser species like African "Mahogany"
in the second batch,
(2) the first batch oxidized and darkened like Cherry, so I should just be
patient, or
(3) there is much color variation even within H. Mahogany so I should
learn my lesson and buy all of the wood for a project at the same time
from the same source?

Lars

It really could be any of the above. H. Mahogany will darken quite quickly.
If you have any scraps from the legs and rails, plane a piece down, resaw
it, whatever and compare to another piece. Alternately, surface a piece of
new mahogany, cover part of it with something opaque and set it in day light
for a couple days and check the difference to see how it reacts.

HTH,
Jeffo