jim rozen

In article , Dan Miller says...

Well I had a go at some silver soldering this weekend. I bought some
"Silvaloy (56% Ag, 22% Cu, 17% Zn, and 5% Sn) Turns out I just couldn't
get the piece hot enough. The solder is supposed to melt around 1145 and
flow around 1205. Everyone says MAPP or Propane is enough

Not me. For any decent sized (over one cubic inch) part, oxy
acetlyene is the only way to go. You'll just waste a lot of
gas and burn up the part.

Trouble with any air/gas torch is you are heating up all the
nitrogen that comes in with the O2, which robs a great deal
of heat from the process.

Get a small OA rig and you will be amazed at how fast it goes.

Jim

please reply to: