Greybeard

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:02:05 -0600, "Dan" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I am just getting into metalworking, primarily with the aim of learning
small-scale machining and steel brazing. I would eventually like to be
able to fabricate small bicycle parts, such as shift levers and the
like. After reading through the "Home Machinist Handbook" I am still
just slightly confused about what pieces of equipment and hand tools I
will need.

0-1" Micrometer. - Look for one in new or near new condition with carbide
faces that reads in "tenths" (.0001").

Starting point here, but don't stop at 0-1". I'll also differ on the
tenths, for a non controlled environment, tenths are only fooling
yourself. I also would not say to look for used unless you're really
strapped for the cash, good quality instruments bought new will last
for a lifetime. Mine are Starretts, the 0-3" set purchased new.

BUT. Pick them up and try them before you put down any money. IF you
don't like how they come to hand, don't buy them, you won't use them.

I have a rule, and it's simple. Never, ever, under any circumstances
buy any precision instrument unless you can pick it up and try it
first.

Ratchets, friction thimbles, locks, carbide faces, all nice "bells and
whistles", but the micrometer is that screw and the nut that it fits.
Carbide faces resist wear, but are far easier to chip. Friction
thimbles give an even pressure every time, but do nothing to guarantee
that you have the faces flat on the workpiece.

Calipers, I have them ranging from a 24" Starrett Master Vernier to
the cheapest imported vernier caliper available. The accuracy of any
of them depends more on knowing the state of the measuring faces and
developing a feel for it's use than it does on who made it.

Brands, Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, Tumico, Lufkin, all good brands.
Slocum, if in top condition, very good. You'll hear a lot of hot air
about these choices, but keep in mind that what people consider as
good or not good is only personal preference. Myself, if you want
clunky, awkward, ****ty feeling, "has to be pampered with a velvet
bed", buy Mitutoyo. Others will tell you the same about Starrett,
it's all in what you learned with.

Machines, it depends on what your budget is and how much room you
have. I have old turret lathes that I've put more work into than can
ever be justified, and an old mill that's about to get the same. "The
price was right", until you consider the hours it's going to take to
make it run. If you know enough to know what you're buying, fine.
New machine or old, you can get something you don't want with either
one, country of origin not a factor. I have the much hated Harbor
Freight 9 X 20, and find that using it is fiddly, but no worse than
the beat out Monarch I used to run. More depends on the skill of the
man standing in front of it than who made the machine.

Mill and lathe as separates, far superior to the combination machines,
no arguments there. Old industrial machines, first, someone got rid
of them for a reason. Second, weight, and lots of it. It's more
normal to have to rebuild a used machine than to get one in pristine
condition. If you can handle that and the weight, great. IF not,
shop around and see what turns your crank.

Nobody can divine your situation, what you need or what you have room
for or capability to handle. Find someone with some experience and
have them look at what you want to do, the room you have, and how much
you want to spend. Then you have an informed opinion, which you are
not getting here.

Greybeard.