Dick

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:18:31 -0500, Matt wrote:

Hi,
I have pipes that are in this little "box" along my outside wall of my
house.. when the temp drops to like -10 below (like we just had the
other night here in PA) the hot water froze... not much... I brought the
house up to 70 and popped some flashing off the bottom of the wall, and
ran a fan there and it defroze in a bit... but still.. is there anything
I can do (aside from ripping the wall out and putting insulation in.. or
letting water run) to help this from freezing?

As aside note.. why did the hot water freeze before the cold? Or was it
just a coincidence?

If you don't want to insulate, running the water is about your only
choice. You could try a lamp for some heat, but you need to be careful
you don't start a fire. The hot water pipes always freeze before the
cold. Someone explained that to me once, but I forgot the reason.