IMM

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

You can make your own using two
large bore copper pipes. One inside the
other.

...................that bit I understand ...

The mains water is in the gap between the two.

....................................I can even grasp this idea ....

Using two reducing
elbows

Sorry should have been tee.

...... I'm afraid that I get lost about here ....
Can you provide a pointer to a sketch ?

Start again.. Lets have 15mm and 22mm pipe for understanding.

Parts:
- 1 three metre lengty of 22mm pipe
- 1 three metre lengty of 15 mm pipe
- 2 solder ring capilary 22mm x 22mm x 15mm tess. (that is a 22mm in

the
centre of the tee)

AIUI, that's using Screwfix catalogue as an example
part code D90193 ?

Yep. Could be compression too.

- File out the the 15mm stops of each tee to make then slip 15mm pipe.

Easy
enough, just elbow grease. Or drill it out if you have the right sized
drill.
- Cut the 22mm pipe to 2.5 metres in length
- Insert the tee on the 22mm pipe at one on each end.
- Run the 15mm pipe though one tee anmd push it until it reaches the

other
end and run it through the slip of the other tee.
- Have the tees 180 dregrees to each other
- Solder up.
- Cover with insulation.

that's be (?)
Hot(!) Cold out ^ Cold(!) Cold in
22 ------/ /----------------------- 22
Waste -Hot 15 ------------/ /------------------------15 Waste
(cooled)
---------/ /-----------------------------

I can't understand the drawing, but I think you have it.

You then have cold water running through the 22mm tee and out the other

tee
warmed up. The hot waste runs down the 15mm. This is now an effective

heat
exhanger. The longer the better. I have done these over 20 foot in

length
ona solar water heater and it was very effective and very cheap.

You size up the copper pipe to suit either a shower or a full 110mm

waste.

Out of interest; - how do you get from a 40mm plastic waste pipe
onto a 15mm copper 'waste'? Isn't the 15mm waste outlet a
trifle slow?

I gave 15mm and 22mm for an easy to understand example. I did say size the
pipes up to suit the shower application. It makes a heat exchanger like
this once in 15mm and 22mm pipe. These days plate heat exchangers can do
the job as well or better. But using 15mm and 2mm is cheap, very cheap, as
long as you have the space to run it. You can spiral it around a loft or
basement, or under a floor.

BTW, a 'new' bathroom is on the list once I've
got the correct tuits - I've indicated to my wife that I've only got
square tuits left from the last big-job - So I'm genuinely interested
in heat-recovery devices as I'm always annoyed when joules of
decent heat-energy goes down the plug-hole after each bath.
I'd also be interested in where-abouts the tepid (cold) water
could be introduced into the domestic-hot-water system.

See the web site I gave for gfx. They give e.g's. of how and where to
connect. Using large bore copper pipe this should be easy enough to make and
far cheaper than what gfx charge. It has to be fixed in a vertical
position. When water goes down the drain it spirals around the outside of a
pipe making this form of heat recovery possible.