The Natural Philosopher

James Amor wrote:

Following the recent high winds I ventured up into the roof (for the first
time since moving in) to check for any damage. I was suprised to notice that
there isn't any roof felt, you can see straight on to the underside of the
tiles.

Is this normal? If so, is there anything I should be doing to keep the
weatherproofing in good condition? The slates appear to have been pointed at
some stage, but most of it has fallen off. Should I look at repointing the
inside of the roof?!

Roof felting is there to windprrof, not waterproof. The slates do that.

Its useful because it stops slates lifting in storms.

Its not necessary.

When the tie coes to re-roo, add felt. Not before. Waste of time and money.

Concentrate more on a decent insulation layer between or extremely cold
roof and the upstairs rooms. And draughtproofing it.

Cheers for any advice,
James