George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy,

I have an oil furnance in my basement, which is also where I want to
place my woodshop. My concerns are not over blowing up the house.
They are over the air quality of the rest of my home.

I have no problem turning off the furnance when I am in the shop,
'cause it's my home and mine alone! But what about dust particles
being sent into the rest of my home where I won't be wearing a HEPA
mask when the furnance is on.

Will the open flames of the oil burning make that a non issue?
Frankly, I don't know how the internal parts of an oil burning furnance
work other than the oil is sprayed out and set on fire. So, I don't
know if the air passes through the flams thus litterally burning
anything that would be in the air or if it passes through heated
baffels or something.

Granted, I have a filter on the furnance, but I think that is on the
intake side.

Combustion air and heated air shouldn't mix. Your cold air return supplies
air to the exchanger, where it is heated and returned to the dwelling.
Filtered in between. Thus, if you've got sawdust in your house, dollars to
dogturds it's from your feet, not the furnace. If from the furnace, you've
got some major leaks to tape over.

If your burner draws and mixes combustion air from the inside of the
dwelling, you can control and filter the intake if you'd like, but I believe
the problems of a clogged filter not allowing enough combustion air
outweighs the inconvenience of an occasional vacuuming. Oil burners are not
delicate.