Owain

Default Stamp Duty

"Phil Norman" wrote
| Essentially I want to sell my house to my daughter for a nominal price
| - £35,000 instead of the £150,000 that it's worth. We have various
| reasons for wanting to do this. Mainly I just want to give her the
| property (it will be hers anyway some time in the future), but I
| need to pay off the existing mortgage - that's were the £35,000
| comes in. Then my wife and I plan to move into another property
| that we have some involvement with, but don't own.

One point to consideder is that in the vague and distant future your
daughter's liability for capital gains tax may be based on the difference
between what she pays now and its future value. It might be better for your
daughter to pay you a more realistic value for the house now (perhaps just
below stamp duty threshold) to lessen her tax burden later. You could then
give her a gift in cash, which I think will be inheritance tax free if made
7 years before your eventual demise.

I agree with RichardS that it's a tax accountant you need. You should
consider the overall liability for tax across both your and her
circumstances.

Owain