Julie

"Julie" wrote
"Pop" wrote

they also make rubber glue-on trim that fastens to the tile and
presses down on the tub.

I've heard the glue-on trim is supposedly "better" than caulk, but:
In my experience that stuff only creates more gaps for water to
collect in, and mildew to grow on. In my tub, the trangle-shaped
gaps where the strip meets tile-grout-tile, are inevitable (since
the strips are fairly rigid), and are yucky.

One mo Olive oil is good to use to keep the caulk from
sticking to your skin.

Now that's interesting ?!.

So, I removed the vinyl glue-on trim and re-caulked today. Two notes,
one good one bad.

I'd heard from others that the glue-on strip was better than regular
caulk. As I wrote above, from the surface it already created more
crevices for mildew. Then I took it off. I'd taken a shower a few
hours before, but the walls and tub were fully dry.

BAD: Despite the amount of adhesive (NOT caulk!) holding the vinyl to
the tile and tub, there was water-a-plenty behind it. So the vinyl
actually creates a bigger problem than caulk - namely, when it fails
to be watertight, you have no idea. All you see is a rigid strip that
looks solid and tight enough ... not quite.

GOOD: Oil on the finger works *miracles* for smoothing caulk. Pop,
you're a genius.

JSH