Bubba

A good manufacturer? It depends who is in your area. Ive installed a
lot of Weil-Mclain. Its good. There is also Burnham and a lot of
others use the Buderus boiler which I have never even seen in this
area. A brand is a brand. Some a bit better than others. What you need
to do is look for a good installer. I have no idea about hidden costs.
Thats why you get estimates/bids/proposals. If your old radiators are
not leaking then they dont need to be replaced unless you want
something more modern looking.
Bubba

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:00:42 -0500, "johnnyok"
wrote:

Can you give me an idea of a good Manufacturer, type, price etc. I should be
looking to purchase? Are there hidden costs? I presently have gas, forced
hot water (older radiators....do these have to be replaced). John

"Bubba" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:09:24 -0500, "johnnyok"
wrote:

Well, the problem isn't 75 years old but the boiler is. I have a
Weil-McLain oil boiler converted to gas....size 5-w-19 series D...

Efficiency expert said the boiler was handling the house fine so didn't
consider replacing it. One of the pipes started leaking and the Gas
company
replaced the pipe and put in an over flow valve (none was there). The
valve
drips all the time.....(a bucket a day). People talk about an expansion
tank (there is NONE). Others suggest that the overflow valve should not
have been installed. The boiler is running fine but sure is a pain to
empty
the bucket everyday... Any thoughts, comments or possible solutions
appreciated. John

75 years is way overdue for replacement whether you like it or not.
Many, Many improvements since then. Your expansion tank may be in an
attic, closet or buried in a wall hidden upstairs. You may also have
an "open system" where a pipe runs from the boiler up and out to the
gutters or somewhere on a top floor. Again, just a very old old system
It needs updating.
Bubb