Peter Wells

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:55:33 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On 22 Jan 2005 06:46:28 -0800, wrote:

Has there ever been an article talking about details of making a story
stick?

It's a piece of whatever wood is handy, strips of MDF and plywood come
to mind. I usually have 6-8' strips of 3/4" MDF and plywood in my
garbage bin. I leave it unfinished so it's easier to write on.

It's not something where details matter, and you probably can't do it
wrong.

Barry

Maybe you can't, but I can ! First I used a scrap that was way too
thick and wide, and I had trouble handling it and getting the marks to
line up accurately. Next, I tried a thinner piece that was too dark,
and I couldn't read my marks properly. So for my next set of matching
drawers, I used the inner side of a planed bamboo lath to copy the
dovetails. That worked, but it was too thin this time, and hard to
hold accurately on the workpiece.

So I now use scraps of pine or fir, about 2" wide by 1/4" thick. I'm
going to try again with bamboo for small pieces (stable, cheap and
easy to mark), but I'll use a thicker-walled species.

only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma véritable adresse