geoman

"Astro" wrote in message
newspsk0md4xjv1dc2q@athlon2600...
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:37:46 -0500, geoman wrote:

Now, Trane and American Standard equipment are about the best Heat Pumps
money can buy, but the companies LIE about their names. I have seen, and
Ohio Edison has pointed out that just because a unit says 11 seer on it
that
it isn't! Our main inspector wanted me to get him some equipment at his
home and he choose another brand because of the ARI ratings of Trane,
they
lie on their equipment labels, at least five years ago they did. The ARI
numbers were TERRIBLE on 12 seers. To get the 12 seer rating you had to
put
the kitchen sink into it! But the reliability of the units were and are
the
very best.

Rich, can you expand on this a bit? I'm a bit confused. you say that Trane
and AS are great, but companies lie about their names. What do you mean by
this?

Now, what ticks me off is the cost of the higher COP and SEER units,
American standard especially. Talk about over priced! They increase the
coil size by 5 -10% which improves BTU capacity, They then use a smaller
compressor that produces more BTU's since the coil is bigger, and then
they
charge upwards to a$1000 more for them! Heck, I can get Geothermal units
for the same price as Tranes 12 seer unit!

Just my opinion. but the major reason is coils size which allows a
smaller
compressor AND a lower amperage fan motor since their is more free air
over
the coil.

Rich

This too is pretty amazing. If it's as simple as that for the normal high
SEER units? I'm assuming that the super high SEER units, like the Carrier
18 SEER system with R410A pull out the stops to get a SEER that high and
actually cost more to manufacture. Or is it all just marketing...

To be honest, I can't answer that with 100% certainty, but I do have an
opinion which I can share. Others may have facts, and I'm sure the factory
and reps have their standard sales crap as well.

I have sold American Standard units that were 16 Seer and to be honest, the
only thing I could see on this five ton HP was a coils size that needed a
flat bed truck to deliver, a smaller compressor and the air handler having a
TXV being required. (Of course that's true with all their five ton systems).
The unit has a two speed fan on the condenser and the air handler may be
variable. Besides that I can't say there is anything spectacular that I
haven't seen in 20 years dealing with this brand and Trane. I personally
believe most of it is Marketing and cost of storage and shipping due to
being such large units. Oh, the condenser size costs a little more too, but
not a $1000 more.

Rich