none

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:36:59 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

Yep, I started out fixing things with lawnmowers, remarkably simple and
robust machines. In your case I would have replaced the cylinder head
though, usually a mower shop will have a whole pile of scrapped stuff and
would be happy to sell you a good used part.

Thanks for the suggestion. This was a 6 or 6.5 HP Craftsman engine,
and I don't think they've been making that for more than a few years
(so they're still new), or selling that many. I don't think I could
find one in the time I had available. (winter was coming.)

Craftsman doesn't make engines, it's probably made by Tecumseh, which while
not as cross-compatible as Briggs & Stratton, it should still be easy to
find a head that will fit.

The OP could try getting a helicoil to fix his original head.
They can be gotten at NAPA or any good auto parts store.
If his craftsman mower does have the tecumseh engine it should take a
standard J19 plug, a fairly standard diameter and thread pitch.
If you go the head replacement route it gonna cost you, unless you can
find a junk engine that'll match. You will most likely have to buy a
new head gasket as well as most late models use a cheap foil laminated
paper gasket that's sure to come apart when you pull the old
head.(earlier models had a heavy metal head gasket that lasted
forever.)
If on the other hand it's a B&S get ready to shell out for new parts
as every engine they make is very parts specific and pricey.