On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:35:51 -0600, Lars Stole
wrote:

I purchased some Honduran Mahogany about 6 months ago and constructed
the legs and rails for a coffee table. Recetnly I purchased some more
H. Mahogany to complete the table top. Unfortunately, the colors of
the two wood are distinctly different - the first batch is
significantly darker (and richer looking) than the second. When you
apply tung oil, it is even more dramatic.

So, is this difference in color because ...
(1) I've been ripped off and sold a lesser species like African
"Mahogany" in the second batch,
(2) the first batch oxidized and darkened like Cherry, so I should just
be patient, or
(3) there is much color variation even within H. Mahogany so I should
learn my lesson and buy all of the wood for a project at the same time
from the same source?

Lars

Mahogany darkens naturally. Depending on the difference I'd suggest
giving it time or just putting the boards for the top out in the sun.
(Which is admittedly easier to do if you're in Phoenix.)

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.