Andy Hall

Default Stamp Duty

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:48:22 +0100, "stuart noble"
wrote:

Phil Norman wrote in message ...
Hello again

Hi Norman
The idea that you're doing something previously unheard of and that you'll
need all kinds of accountants and solicitors is faintly ridiculous. Go to
the horse's mouth and talk to the Inland Revenue. They probably have a
leaflet covering your situation or it'll be the tenth time they've been
asked the question that day. Why use middle men?

Because most people at the IR that you will typically reach are
clueless on anything much more than self-assessment. If you ask
something about CGT, even relatively simple, they don't know.
Inheritance tax? Forget it.

The leaflets cover only a tiny amount of the most widely used tax
legislation.

If you want to get into the subtleties of CGT, IHT or even stock
options you can research it yourself since most of the legislation can
be found on the IR web site. However, much of it is obscurely
written and non-obvious as to whether it applies in a given situation.

My accountant tells me that more often than not in these cases he has
to point the officer to the legislation that applies and then get them
to agree (in writing) that it is applicable to a case in point.
There is plenty there for tax saving, but the layman won't find it for
himself.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl