Roger

This is a question I am asking for my in-laws, so excuse me. They have
a whole house alarm system with a phone dialer. The installer said
they should have the junction box for the phone line (underground)
placed in their basement so it couldn't be cut or disconnected. They
called the telephone company, and they said the box had to be mounted
outside above ground. Can you think of a good way to protect this unit
from having a thief disarm it by cutting the wire or opening the cover
on the connector? My father in law is kind of set in his ways, and
doesn't want me to tamper with it (I would just move it and tell the
phone company to pound sand). My idea was to cover the wire with a
slotted pipe or such (still doesn't take care of the connector cover.
Another idea was to install a fake but visible wire and cover, and
camoflage the other so it wouldn't be visible. I can't be the first
with this problem, so please give me some ideas! I like to keep peace
in the family and also come up with answers to their concerns.

Our phone line runs from the service wire to the eaves, then down behind the
siding in a conduit, terminating in a box, with lock, on the side of the
house. The telephone wires then run out of the box, along a horizontal seam
in the siding.. The alarm signal wire goes from the box to the garage alarm
switchboard by a devious and disguised route, but mostly along the exterior.
The line tends to follow natural grooves in the siding. I used tiny staples
to tie it down, then ran acrylic caulk over the line where it was visible,
then painted. Just about invisible now.