Lobster

John wrote:
I bought a replacement Hozelock fitting for a relative's outside tap. The
tap already had a (cracked) plastic thread adaptor sleeve fitted. I removed
this expecting the Hozelock fitting with its own reducer to fit - but it
didn't (quite).

The tap is possibly about 25 years old - I presume the thread spec has
changed - will I be able to get an adaptor?

(Changing the tap is not an ideal option - the stop cock is a pig to get at)

If the tap's that old it's unlikely to have the non-return valve which
is now a legal requirement if you're using a hosepipe, so I would have
thought you're best bet would be to bite the bullet.

(hate to say it, but if the stopcock's so hard to get at, what will your
relative do when (s)he has to turn it off in an emergency situation?)

David