On 23-Jan-2005, CJT wrote:

"Just my 2 cents worth", of course,being a technician I have resoldered
IDE
connectors, SMD regulators and components, replaced caps, etc just to
get a
unit operational. Then, after a period of time find out that other
devices
indeed were stressed, inclusive of the power supplies.

"CJT" wrote in message

Why not fix it? The replacement cost of a motherboard that will take a
cpu and memory from a couple of years ago is what, $45 for a good one
and it will be upgradeable to the newer and faster cpu come upgrade
time.

It's no easy task to replace all the caps on a multi-layer board
with plated through holes. You are likely to end up with a dead board.
Try fault tracing on that one.