James Sweet

"Harvey" wrote in message

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:gelId.13643$IP6.13358@trnddc05...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Time for a new motherboard. There is a known problem with poor quality
capacitors from about 2 years ago on many brands of motherboards. Pull
the CPU now before it gets fried and buy a new mother board.

Why not repair it? I've fixed a whole pile of motherboards with this
problem, never cost me more than about 15 bucks. THey can be tricky to
desolder though, I had to use a 140W Weller on the ones with a large
ground
or vcc plane.

Probably because you can buy a new motherboard cheaper than a set of new
capacitors for the older one.

Where can you buy a new motherboard for less than $15?

And then there's the added issue of the faulty capacitors over-stressing

the
regulators making them go thermally intermittent too, resulting in hours

of
wasted time spent changing the capacitors only to find the mobo is no

better
or even worse than it was before you started.

I've *never* run into a board that was intermittant after replacing the
caps, I suppose it could happen but it's rare. I say either repair the board
and keep it out of the landfill, or get a new board, CPU, RAM, etc to
upgrade to a newer generation.