Silvan

Keith wrote:

so it will hold it somewhat. I have glue and wood finishing products
stored in the shop along with my tools. I use a propane heater to get the
shop heated up in the morning and turn it off at night. It got down to 17
last night and does get below freezing from time to time.

Like everybody else said, don't let your glue and other freezables freeze.
Titebond can take a freeze or two, but many other types of glue will turn
into useless glop immediately after one freeze.

Most everything else should be fine. I haven't been bothering to take in my
finishing materials, and I've had an unheated, freeze-prone shop for a
number of years now. Mineral spirits based stuff will get too cold to work
in freezing temperatures, but it seems to thaw out just fine.
Alcohol-based stuff (ie shellac) doesn't seem to care about being frozen at
all. It needs to be applied above a certain ambient temperature for the
magic to happen, but it doesn't seem to object to being exposed to freezing
temperatures repeatedly. It can also be applied successfully at a much
lower temperature than any other finish I'm aware of, which was one of the
big lures of shellac for me.

I do most of my woodworking when it's hella cold out. Better hella cold
than 120 F, which is where my shop sits in any kind of sunny weather. It's
even gotten into the 80s out there a couple times this winter. I really
need air conditioning.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/