raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
Assuming both your eyes are nearly the same, get a pair of powerful
ready made reading specs from Boots etc just for this sort of thing.
Much more useful than a magnifying glass. I've found +5 added your
normal distance prescription about right.

But what are you expecting to see?

I'm not expecting to 'see' anything. Just passing on a tip to those who
find it difficult to see such things through advancing years.

While big power components have the potential to go out spectacularly,
those carrying signals are much better at dying in a more discrete
manner

But if checking voltages, etc, it helps to see where you're probing?

Aha, Alles Klar

I was more thinking about a visual inspection to look for damaged
components. However ... trying to fault find with the pcb in place,
attached to a loom with the boiler up and running, (this particular pcb
is inside a plastic case and the display / controls pcb is attached to
it), really isn't something which I would like to attempt. You can't
really test it any other way without a test rig

--
geoff