Nick

Default Screwing a batten to a wall

I don't know if I'm tackling the job in completely the wrong way but I've
always found screwing a batten accurately to a wall (e.g. for a shelf
support) very tedious.
It seems to me that the best way to get it positioned correctly is to drill
through pre-drilled holes in the batten. But many of these universal plastic
wall plugs need a much bigger hole than is required to clear the screw. So I
end up drilling pilot holes in the wall and then opening them out to fit the
plug.
I usually fix one end loosely, level it up, and then drill another hole. I
seem to spend a lot of time changing drill bits and fixing and removing the
batten.
Where am I going wrong?
TIA
Nick.