saragan

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:17:05 -0000, Mike wrote:

Is this the one Makro have at £299 with the 80Gbyte hard disc ?
Noticed it yesterday and was tempted.

Inc or ex VAT?

Dave, you must not be able to see my earlier reply to this thread, but £299
is exc vat.

The DVDR725H is supposed to have a 160Gbyte disc, the HDRW720/05 has
an 80Gbyte disc both feature the Guide PLUS+ EPG downloaded from
terrestial ITV1.

DVDR725H does indeed have a 160Gb hard drive and GuidePlus+

I like the idea of a DVD Recoder with HDD and the EPG makes spotting
stuff in advance much easier. We don't take any newspapers or listings
mags... Been digging about on the web to see what machines are about
that fit that spec, only found the two Philips and one RCA (ie US
only) models with Guide PLUS+. I remember lots of Philips ads on the
TV a few months back which, considering how little TV I watch, means
it must have been a hefty campagne.

Unless other makers have taken licenses *and* are making machines for
the Guide PLUS+ system I can't see it getting much of a market and
without a market likely to die. Is the machine in Makro a Guide PLUS+
machine, if so this appearance may mean the begining of the end for
Guide PLUS+...

No, the DVDR520H is only VideoPlus+ not GuidePlus+

The DVDR manufacturers incorporate GuidePlus+ technology under licence from
Gemstar but the end user, ie, me and you, don't have to pay anything for
using GuidePlus+ so maybe you're right and it will die out. I hope not 'cos
it is quite good, although not as good as Gemstar would have you believe -
and when there's a problem (such as only getting four days listings instead
of the seven days it is supposed to provide), Philips refer you to Gemstar
and Gemstar refer you to Philips )

But, we've had the DVDR725H (160Gb hdd) since about mid-December and the
DVDR520H we got last week from Makro, and I can honestly say that both
machines are excellent.

Saragan.