Art

IMHO, after the period of time it has taken for these caps to fail, and
probably contribute to other damage, would it not be apparent that one
should consider upgrading to a faster CPU, more memory, and new motherboard
that has the USB2 feature,etc built in. I have done many computers this way
for less than $200 USD and have a fine, faster, more reliable piece of
equipment afterwards.
"Just my 2 cents worth", of course,being a technician I have resoldered IDE
connectors, SMD regulators and components, replaced caps, etc just to get a
unit operational. Then, after a period of time find out that other devices
indeed were stressed, inclusive of the power supplies.

"CJT" wrote in message
Why not fix it? The replacement cost of a motherboard that will take a
cpu and memory from a couple of years ago is what, $45 for a good one
and it will be upgradeable to the newer and faster cpu come upgrade
time.

Then there is the opportunity cost of the time involved. If it takes
one hour to replace all the capacitors on the board, and the board does
wind up being good, how much was that one hour worth?

In my experience, finding and installing a suitable replacement
motherboard will take about as long or longer. That it's "upgradeable
to the newer and faster cpu" probably means it uses a different chipset,
which means the OS may need reinstallation, too.