Brian Schonecker

Default Building my own lighted disco dance floor

Ok, continue laughing at me but I am a 70s child afterall....

Think Saturday Night Fever or "Hollywood Squares".

I've already got the PLC for programming the chasing lights and have
found a source for lexan/acryllic squares but I'm confused as to how I
should go about building the dance floor itself.

I'm the first to admit that I can't make a wooden box without
illustrated plan so any help that you can give me must be 'lowest
common denominator' so to speak.

My first inclination was to make a 6' x 6' frame with cross members
half-lapped on edge at 12" centers. Then I would route a 1/2" rabbit
around the inside of the squares and place my lexan. Underneath I am
going to put leveling screws because my basement floor isn't exactly
level.

Would 2x4 pine be strong enough for this application? I'm not sure
that pine would look too good, however. I could paint the pine
black... If I went with oak, what thickness would be appropriate?
Since the leveling screws would be every 24" or so I guess that 2x4
oak would be overkill.

I'm trying to keep the overall height of the dance floor to a minimum
because the ceiling in the basement is about 7-1/2 feet high.

The dance floor must either be assembled in the basement or be
constructed of knock-down hardware to facilitate transport down the
steps. I've been able to get a 4x8 sheet of drywall down the steps so
anything smaller than that would be just fine.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Brian

PS: Anybody got a source for a floor to ceiling brass pole for the
inevitable alchohol-induced 'exotic dances'??? :-)

(you can stop laughing at me now) hehe