Mark

sounds like that was simply a case of the wrong fuse and wasn't the
fault of the spiral armor, the wires inside the armor were getting hot.

I think the worst electrical saftey issue I have seen (I live in the
US) is older 220V dryers. They are plugged in via a big 3 prong plug.
Two of the prongs are 220 and the third prong is a COMBINATION return
and saftey ground!!!. In my dreyer, the heating coils are across the
220 pongs. But the 110 volt motor and clock are connected from one 220
pin to the combination return / ground pin which also connects to the
chassis.

SO...if this retun line should fail OPEN someplace, there will be 110V
on the dreyer chassis (through the motor). And of course the dreyer
sits right next to the washer which is grounded by it's regular 110v
outlet. so by a simple open failure, there can be 110V ac across my
washer and dreyer. I see the cat walk across there all the time not to
mention the wife and kids. I was so concerned about this, that I
added a hard WIRE between the washer and dreyer chassis.

I think all newer dreyers have a 4 prong plug where the return and
saftey ground are seperate. But it boggles my mind that any saftey
organization would have ever alllowed the older three prong system.
Mark