calhoun

It is ridiculous to think of a fire place as an efficient heat source. It is
for aesthetics. I like to look at and hear my fire so I leave the doors
open. If I wanted to look at one though the glass I could get one of those
Yule log tapes for the VCR. If I wanted to heat with wood I would get a
stove.
"Roger" wrote in message
news

The house we bought has a fireplace and this will be our first winter
where
we can actually make use of it.
As we've never had a fireplace before I want to make sure I use it
correctly.
I've checked out several sights on the net about how to build fires and
how
to prime the flue, etc.

One question I have is on the use (or not) of fireplace doors. My
fireplace
has two glass doors (no screens). From what I can tell the most common
recommendation is to leave any doors open while the fire is burning.

Advice from Rick, Carol, and Meehan is right on.
Keep those doors closed, or what little warm air is in the house will
quickly be sucked out.
Re a screen, it is useful when first starting the fire, where you want
max. air flow, but no live coals on the rug.....
Once well started,. pull the screen back out of the way, and close the
glass doors. If the screen is left in place while the doors are shut, you
get more smoke/tar deposits left on windows, and end up blocking a lot of
useful radiation into the room.
Another really good source for info on fires and home heating is newsgroup
alt.energy.homepower. It is well attended by many who have expertise in
home heating with wood stoves and fireplaces.