CJT

Harvey wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:gelId.13643$IP6.13358@trnddc05...

wrote in message
roups.com...

Time for a new motherboard. There is a known problem with poor quality
capacitors from about 2 years ago on many brands of motherboards. Pull
the CPU now before it gets fried and buy a new mother board.

Why not repair it? I've fixed a whole pile of motherboards with this
problem, never cost me more than about 15 bucks. THey can be tricky to
desolder though, I had to use a 140W Weller on the ones with a large
ground
or vcc plane.

Probably because you can buy a new motherboard cheaper than a set of new
capacitors for the older one.

And then there's the added issue of the faulty capacitors over-stressing the
regulators making them go thermally intermittent too, resulting in hours of
wasted time spent changing the capacitors only to find the mobo is no better
or even worse than it was before you started.

More info about bad mobo caps here http://badcaps.net/

The flip side is that the price of the motherboard can be irrelevant
compared to the cost of new memory (since current motherboards often
use a different sort) and the time to reinstall software and get
everything working as before. And capacitors are pretty cheap; you
ought to be able to replace them all for under 30 bucks +/-.

It's not an easy call, but I've done a couple of replacements, and
they've worked well for me.