Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Steven Raphael" wrote:

I would not recomend using it for large
turnings as I have recently retired my Delta due to bearing failure. (I
turned quite a few larger items on it)

I've turned quite a few full-capacity chunks on my Delta midi for
upwards of 4 years now. I certainly push the little machine on a regular
basis but it keeps on going. This past summer I decided to replace the
bearings after turning some acrylic, polycarb and the like for my vacuum
chucking needs. The plastic had a tendency to wrap around the spindle
and get pulled past the seal and into the forward bearing. After the
plastic job was finished, I decided to just replace both bearings given
the hard use I've given the lathe. I don't recall where I got the
replacements, maybe MSC, but I chose the premium, electric motor grade,
Japanese bearings and I don't think the pair cost more than $20 or so.
With just a slight bit of shade-tree mechanic, the swap is quick and
painless.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long