Martin Angove

Default Dishwasher with hot feed?

In message ,
Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:22:12 GMT, Martin Angove
wrote:

[...]

Please note that I'm not suggesting, as the other poster did, that a
dishwasher should only fill with hot, but that there should be both hot
and cold feeds available. A washing machine's pre-wash for example, uses
cold, but the main wash might use hot. Does a dishwasher only fill
once, or does it do as a washing machine does and fill several times,
at different temperatures?

Several times. Could be a pre-wash, a wash, and 2-3 rinses. It
depends on the model and program.

Well in that case, and certainly in the interests of a quicker cycle,
does it not make a lot of sense to have hot-fill available? Pre-wash or
rinse in cool water to get rid of yer eggs and things, wash in warm
water (mix hot & cold?) and then the final rinse in water as hot as
possible to help with drying.

If I have already heated water I feel a bit
cheated that I have to heat more, particularly if I have gone to the
trouble of lagging the hot supply pipes or installing a HW loop.

OK, but that is pretty unusual. Most people don't bother.

Well I've got the ceilings down now, so lagging is very easy :-) (any
decent suppliers of 22mm and 15mm insulation?) I don't think I'll go to
the trouble of installing a loop though. We've never previously had a
DW, but the way I imagine us using it involves someone doing large pans
and things in the sink which means that whenever the DW is on, there
will recently have been hot water in the pipework anyway.

The water consumption is also very low.

I suppose the question is, how low? Heating a kettle-full of water
electrically is quick and easy, but the more water, the dafter this idea
becomes...

[...]

But (to return to washing machines for a second) I for one would not
feel entirely happy washing my children's nappies at 30C - I *need* that
90C wash :-)

That's true, but once you get beyond that stage the number of high
temperature washes drops dramatically.

To be honest we're using disposables at the moment as we're living with
relatives while the house is sorted. When it was just the one boy, it
was one load of nappies every 2 or 3 days. For a while it'll be both in
nappies, so it might be a load every day, though #1 is now potty
training.

But it doesn't end there... even when the nappies are finished with
there will be plenty of opportunities for 60C washes, what with puke and
accidental peeing and wetting of beds and the like.

And who knows if we'll stop at 2? ;-) We could be doing nappies for the
next 4 or 5 years. (Eek!)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... I'm not dead; I'm metabolically challenged.