meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:02:04 -0600 BOB URZ
posted:

NSM wrote:

"meirman" wrote in message

Follow-up on the engine with bad spark-plug threads that you were good
enough to advice me on a couple months ago .

The hole was definitely too small for the bigger sparkplugs, so I
decided to go with the helicoil.

If the threads are damaged, helicoil it. Don't rely on just some of the
threads. I'd have paid the shop - seems like a fair price for one plug.

Well, I may do that yet, in the spring. Thanks.

If its one of the garden variety BS with valves in the block, there
is another solution. Every town has its shade tree mower shop.
Yea, that's that one with mower parts stacked up all over the yard.

Take the head off for comparison and get a used one off a donor. Then buy a

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just don't know where to find a donor. I know about 5 repair shops,
but the one nearest me is expensive (at least for used mowers) and,
like I say, it's not a common engine, afaik.

Not BS and and not small.

new head gasket. I got a crank that way for a 3.5 BS.
Bet you can get a used one for less than the repair kit if you hunt
deep enough.

Bob

Meirman
--