Glenna Rose

writes:
I'm finally ready to start making my daughter's desk, she's 8 and is
going to "help". She stated this week that she wanted it painted white.
I already bought all the maple and it seems a shame to cover it up with
paint. I was thinking about making it out of poplar now since it's
going to be painted. My question is do I make it out of maple anyway
since it will be much more durable or go with poplar to save money. Of
course you can't answer this for me but I'm curious what you think you
would do.

This is a small student's desk that I hope my daughter uses until
college. She lives with me part time so it wont get a whole lot of
abuse. She'll have a computer on it and maybe do some homework there.

Also, what kind of paint would be good. Would a standard enamel wall
paint be Ok or something else.

Well, Ron, once it's painted, it's painted.

Since you already have the maple, I'd make the desk out of maple. You can
make a desk top to set over the real desk top and paint that white, both
on the top and the "extension" all around it to hold it in place over the
real top. (Don't fasten it to the desk, just build lips on all four sides
to keep it from slipping around. That way she has her white desk and she
can do all of the work [except the actual cutting] on the "writing"
portion of her desk.)

I suspect when she sees the desk actually assembled, the maple desk, and
she is helping with the sanding and finishing, that she will be thrilled
with it and opt for a glass top rather than a white top. Of course, much
depends on the particular wood you are using. There are some woods I
don't mind painting over but others that it's criminal to cover with paint.

When you give it to her, if she still wants it white, you can tell her
when she is 13 (or 16), she can paint it white if she still wants it
white. Also tell her that she can make it white later, but she cannot
"make it maple" later. I'm betting she will be thrilled with the maple
finish and never go to white. In addition to the white "writing" top, you
could also make a small (2-shelf), shallow bookshelf to set on top of the
desk, painted white, which will give much more white. With her computer
on the desk, that gives her a place to set drives, CDs, etc., also and
keep them in sight.

If you make it maple, it will be her own heirloom. If you paint it, she'll
still love it but when grown, she'll wish it wasn't painted. Stripping
them back just isn't the same as never painting them.

Just my thoughts.

Glenna