DanG

Eric,

I don't know what vintage hoe you have, but it should have an
automatic return to dig switch or at least an alignment gauge,
usually on the right hand side lift arm. The other feature that
you need to research is the float position on the front bucket.
Float will allow you to put the bucket on the ground with no
downward pressure, when the dig angle is right you can drive
across the front yard picking up dirt and rocks and leaving the
sod clean and green.

To get control of the back bucket, set up in a comfortable spot.
Raise the idle slightly. Do not even try to dig a hole. Reach up
and out full length, set the teeth on the ground, bring the
bucket to you without digging, keeping the teeth touching the
ground. Raise, swing, empty, return. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Don't be in any hurry to dig. See if you can push the bucket away
from you the same as you bring it to you. The direction that an
operator has little to no control over is side swing. Do not
allow anyone to ever stand on the side of ditch or excavation to
watch, no matter how long you have operated. There is sure plenty
more to learn, but at least these 2 will get you off to a decent
start.

After you have played for a while and can at least push the right
stick at the right time and have some problems, pay your excavator
friend to come watch you for an hour or so to show you what you
are doing wrong. Maybe a good cold refreshment would be payment
enough.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
Well, I've been making a real mess of things. It takes lots of
practice to use one of these things! I can't see where the front
of
the bucket is. I can't tell what angle the bucket is at. How far
can
the tractor tilt before it rolls? I need a tilt meter. And all
those
levers! I have always had plenty of respect for folks who
operate
heavy equipment and make it look effortless. But now I REALLY
respect
'em.
ERS