Ian Stirling

Grant Erwin wrote:
larry g wrote:

One of the model engineering magazines, HSM I think, had an letter from a
boiler inspector about this very subject. He went on about pressure vessels
and heated pressure vessels being very different. In the end it was no way
in hell should anyone do this. I'm sorry I can't quote the article as I
have been going through a lot of the old magazines that I have just
acquired.

Hmm. Often when someone from an industry whose revenue source depends on
scarcity says "oh no you surely cannot do that" what it really means is
"oh my if everyone did that I'd be out of work". I vaguely remember the
letter, probably was HSM. I'd welcome it if anyone knows which -- since 1982
there have been over 135 issues, that's a LOT of reading.

Practically all the heated boiler/steam legislation is there because
people have regularly killed themselves with things they thought would
be fine.