Martik

Get an airtight insert and turn your fireplace into a real heater. You can
probably find a used one for under $200.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hello.
The house we bought has a fireplace and this will be our first winter
where
we can actually make use of it.
As we've never had a fireplace before I want to make sure I use it
correctly.
I've checked out several sights on the net about how to build fires and
how
to prime the flue, etc.

One question I have is on the use (or not) of fireplace doors. My
fireplace
has two glass doors (no screens). From what I can tell the most common
recommendation is to leave any doors open while the fire is burning.

Thoughts on this?
When should/could the doors be closed?
Do you think it would be a good idea to obtain a screen for the from of
the
fireplace?

Thanks,
Walter