I have found that a tape measure does not come close to what a story
stick can do. Once in a while, I find myself reaching for a tape
measure and thinking how many times I am going to double check myself
to make sure I am not making a wrong cut by not concentrating on what I
am doing. A story stick gives me the confidence that I am making the
right cut, because the mark was made when I put the plan on it and I
KNOW it is right if I was planning it right at the time. After using
the mark once, a repeated measurement in another area of the project
(the back, for example) is precise because it is taken from the exact
same mark and does not have to be found again on a tape measure.