Swingman

wrote in message

Any other ideas?

These handy, and time tested, devices seem to have fallen out of use in
recent years with the advent of easily available tape measures. Years ago,
in my grandfather's shop, I saw stacks of "story" sticks that, from any one,
you could build an entire, and identical, piece of furniture.

Done properly, accuracy is better than with a tape measure. When building
and installing cabinets, new or additions, I generally make one specifically
for the _exact_ locations and width of the various pipes and receptacles,
with both horizontal and vertical marks..

Nothing special as far as material, just whatever is handy. I keep mine on
the thin side so that it is easier to transfer marks ... a 1 x 4 is almost
always laying around somewhere. If one is too short, I will often use two
with a reference mark on both for alignment.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04