fred

In article , Gerry
'removet his' writes
The chap that ran my course did tell me that men quite like to be macho
about asbestos though, that lots and lots of people think that 'they
wont get affected'... breathe deep boys ;o)

I'm sure your advice is well meant but the risks associated with asbestos
cement really are minimal, as this quote from the paper (that's learned
study, not raging tabloid) that bigcat pointed to should show:

Second sentence sums it up.

"This paper is concerned solely with high density chrysotile products, their
manufacture and use and the health risks that have been associated with
these activities. The conclusion has to be that it is difficult to demonstrate
any health risks. The culture of fear that has grown up around all asbestos
products would be better focussed on the real dangers of the amphibole
materials and then the effective safety of high-density chrysotile products
could be realised. Demonising products that have no material effects on
the health and safety of the population is very expensive. Enshrining in law
practices based on a denial of scientific facts will cost every man. woman
and child in this country a small fortune. Examples are already appearing.
In not too long a time thousands of houses will be deemed worthless and
unsaleable; mortgages will be denied, insurance refused and small
businesses will be bankrupted."

Thanks to bigcat for the link with extra thanks for sorting out the google
posting.
--
fred