Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

What dimensions (width, thickness) have you found to be best (I find
that I could use more room to make markings sometimes)? Do you use a
square cross section or do you make the stick rectangular to make it
easier to identify what dimensions are front, back, etc.

Yes.

Do you use more than one in a project (say, one for height and depth
and one for length?). I use one for depth and height and one for
length (the length dimension is large and makes it combersome to work
with for depth and height).

Any special way you mark/label the dimensions to identify them?

Sharpie marker. I just write the dimensions and/or what it is for.

What material do you recommend? I find that a smooth, light, hard
surface would be best. Maybe maple?

Any other ideas?

I use 1/8" masonite, 1/4" luan, 3/4" pine, 1/2" MDF or what is handy and
works at the time. I usually pot a coat of shellac on them to keep them a
little cleaner. Any project I think I may make again gets a stick or a
template.