Default Story pole/stick dimensions and construction details

This question is for people that USE story sticks. There are many
posts on the rec that talk about what they are.

Many posts talk about story sticks. I use them on any fairly complex,
detailed project. None of the posts seem to discuss details of
construction. I know some people just pick up a stick that is
convenient (That is what I have done so far), but I am sure some people
have been more meticulous. Those are the ones I want to answer a few
questions.

My question for these people:

Has there ever been an article talking about details of making a story
stick?

What dimensions (width, thickness) have you found to be best (I find
that I could use more room to make markings sometimes)? Do you use a
square cross section or do you make the stick rectangular to make it
easier to identify what dimensions are front, back, etc.

Do you use more than one in a project (say, one for height and depth
and one for length?). I use one for depth and height and one for
length (the length dimension is large and makes it combersome to work
with for depth and height).

Any special way you mark/label the dimensions to identify them?

What material do you recommend? I find that a smooth, light, hard
surface would be best. Maybe maple?

Any other ideas?