Andy Hall

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:23:50 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

raden wrote:
I would put it to them that the replaced pcb should itself have a 12
month warranty period

Isn't it part of the consumer laws (or something) that if something is
repaired or replaced under warranty, then the repair or replacement is
only valid for the duration of the origonal warranty? So if I buy a
widget with a standard 12-month warranty, and it fails after 360 days
and I get it replaced, then I don't expect to get a further 12-month
warranty out of it?

Different matter for a paid-for repair or replacement undertaken out of
warranty.

David

Nope. Warrranties are there as a convenience for the manufacturer
and/or retailer only. Consumer law is based more on reasonableness.
So if something has a warranty of a year, and could reasonably be
expected to last longer, then you could pursue the issue in the court.
If the product is a high end one, then it is more reasonable that it
should last longer than a cheap one.

Really all that a warranty achieves is a simple set of rules for
suppliers to use. Of course they also know that most consumers think
that that's it - a year is up and that's your lot. It may not be.

Warranties are used as a marketing tool as well where the supplier
thinks that it can be used to make an inferior product more attractive
(e.g. cheap power tools), or by a high end manufacturer to put some
space between them and their competition at low cost if they designed
and manufactured the product right.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl