CJT

Al wrote:
In trying to figure out why this atx pc won't start, I carefully look ed
at the motherboard. Some of the blue 'can' capacitors are straight across
the top, with the X shape. But others are bulged up. Some have a smudge
of some yellow material on the bulged tops, and one has a smudge of
black. Is this normal, or a sign of failure? Thanks.

See:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY...eb03/ncap.html

I've repaired some such boards, and had one repaired by the manufacturer
at reasonable cost; whether doing so is worthwhile in your particular
case depends on factors (like cost and the hassle of switching machines)
that only you can decide.