Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:05:45 -0500, the inscrutable Rob Mitchell
spake:

Thanks to all. This newsgroup never ceases to amaze me. I'll try the
cleaning and checking for burrs. The quill and the morse taper don't
come apart. It is the chuck that comes off the taper.

BTW, I found a good site http://www.beautifuliron.com/mttaper.htm which
describes the morse taper and drill presses in general. I used his
instructions and used the 'handle' to lower the spindle, which forced
the chuck against a piece of wood on the top of the table. This seems
to have tightened things up, but if it comes off again, I know what to
change.

That has happened to my HF chuck a couple times. I clean it up, put it
back up there, and press with the feed lever. It then stays put for
another year.

(anyway I've had my eye on a nice keyless chuck in the King catalog)

Get a nice Jacob ball bearing keyed chuck instead. I've ruined too
many drill bits with cheap chucks and those keyless SOBs.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!