Bob

Hi,
Is installing an electrical socket in the cabinet above the range a DIY
or should I engage an electrician? My existing GE hood is has wiring
and is not plugged in but the over-the-range microwave I bought has a
plug.

You should not use the same feed for a microwave oven that previously
existed for a range hood. US electrical codes have prohibited a range
hood fan/light from being on one of the two 20 amp kitchen appliance
circuits, so it's most likely on a lighting circuit. To be in
compliance with code, the built-in microwave must have its own circuit.
Most microhoods have a power cord on the top right side. Install the
outlet in the cabinet above the microwave. If you're not familiar with
proper wiring methods, hire an electrician.