Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Is it difficult to replace a thermostat? I have hot water baseboard
heat and was thinking of replacing the thermostat in one room with a
programable. I have three zones but this one zone is the one I need
to change the settings on the most.
Thanks.

FYI - your situation is similar to what I had. I bought a Honeywell
7500, which works for my gas boiler/hot water fin-tube system. With a
little help from some friendly people in this forum, I was able to
change it out in a few minutes.

A couple of notes:
- the temperature of the digital thermostat varies by as much as
5degrees from my old mercury one (and several other non-digitals that I
had in the house)

- it took the unit about a week to really get a handle on adaptation.
It didn't help that the temps fluctuated quite a bit, so just note that
the first few days may differ from what you see thereafter.

- the difference in my first month's usage from previous months was
about 6% using a 5 degree adjustment at night (wife is home during the
day).

I am very happy with the purchase so far and would recommend contacting
vendors to make sure you get the right type of stat for your home. I
chose the 7500 on various advice I had received, reputation of
Honeywell units, and the fact that I may replace my heating unit in the
future and it can handle different types of systems. Disclaimer: I am
not affiliated with Honeywell.

That's O.K., Dave. I'll second you on it.

Honeywell is probably THE best there is. But it won't work worth a sh*t if
you don't install it correctly.....