Joseph Meehan

Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:18:13 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:42:18 -0500, Speedy Jim

My the check valve started to show signs of water the first day I
used my new heater. So I turned down the thermostat. It still
run water. So I turned it way down, and it still does it. When
they installed the new heater, the plumber checked the inline
pressure and said it was fine. So do I have a bad check valve on
this heater? Is a thermal expansion tank necessary? How hard
are they to install?

JaKe

Without actually being there to see it, sounds like an exp tank
may be needed:
http://www.stateind.com/expansion/expansion.htm

If the pipe into the heater is copper, there is even one model
of tank which has a self-piercing fitting and does not require
soldering.

Jim

Dont use that P-O-S! Put on a full port 3/4" opening expansion tank.
That piercing model will clog up quicker than ..............
Have you seen the crap that comes out of the bottom of a water
heater. Bubba

I could be wrong, but does not the expansion tank go on the cold
water line? I don't think there is much chance of that gunk in the
bottom of the tank finding it's way upstream to the expansion tank.
If it did, then my humidifier (which is on the hot water line and my
ice maker which is on the cold water line, would have puked out long
ago.

Think real hard Joseph. That stuff in the bottom of the hot water
tank. Where do you think it came from? Its in the water. It came from
the COLD water line. That same line where the self piercing tank is
that you want to hang on that water heater. Will it work? Sure. How
long? Anybodys guess but most likely not long enough and the self
piercing tap will clog with deposits. Just like the orifice, solenoids
and self tapping water valves on those water heaters. I know as well
as you that everything eventually breaks and everything needs
maintenance but I like to install stuff and not come back for that
particular item for a long time. It gives me time to concentrate on
selling new stuff and more add on items.
Bubba

Bubba,

Why do you think it shows up in the bottom of the hot water tank and not
everywhere else? Trick question here, there is a good reason.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math