cjra

You'd be surprised what can be done with storms. They can be

made almost
invisible. Check with your local landmarks agency or

not-for-profit. I'm
sure that they have a list of firms in your area that can make

something
that looks acceptable to both you and the authorities.

Depends almost entirely on how anal the local controlling body

is...some
are virtually impossible to get anything past...

If you can document the type of storm windows (if any) that were used
when the building was new, you might be ok. Failing that, glass or
plastic inserts that fit on the INSIDE accomplish much the same

thing.

I'm quite certain the only 'storm' windows were the exterior shutters
(which we found underneath the house). This is Texas.... I'd like to
put the shutters up and make use of them, but they don't let in light.

I think we're going to insulate the area around the window, and just
fix the glass and rely on that.

Thanks all for the advice!