TomCAt

If I keep the slate roof, should I re-do the hips, valleys, etc?

Also, along the edge of the roof, would it be a good idea to take back a few
rows and apply ice and water shield?

It isn't that I am against the slate roof, it is cost. If I am going to
spend a huge amount to keep and old roof or spend the same and get a new
roof ...

Another question: When you take off an old roof, is it necessary to cover
the old roof with plywood before applying the new roof?

I just called Home Depot and the guy there said he didnt' think it was
necessary.

What is your opinion.

Thanks, Thomas

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
I have an old house. It has a slate roof.
I have decided to replace the old roof.

Why? Slate roofs are known to last for centuries. It doesnt make sense to
replace something of this quality with something that will have to be done
over
every 15 years or so. With slate, the roof construction is quite robust,
and if
in fact you did have deteriorating soft (Pennsylvania) slate it could be
replaced with Vermont slate, or a type of tile that would last far longer
than
asphalt shingles. HTH

Joe