Nehmo Sergheyev

- Wayne Whitney -
In addition to the usual ears, my old work box (Carlon B120R) has 4
tabs projecting out of the corners, with holes in them. Are these
tabs for screwing the box directly to a solid wall surface (e.g. a
baseboard)? The manufacturer's website doesn't mention this
installation method, so I thought I'd double check here.

- Nehmo -
Carlon B120R pic:
http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbu...es&img=19&tn=1

The ears on the screws go inside the wall and clamp the wall material
between the ears and the tabs.
Explained:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

If the wall material is something more solid than sheet rock, sure, you
can put screws in the holes in the tabs to mount the box. Often in
construction, you have to make-do in a given situation. Many things can
be mounted in several different ways. A box with an accurate box hole in
solid baseboard with screwed-in tabs will make a more solid mounding
than one with the ears-behind-sheetrock method. But usually the
baseboard level is not where a box is positioned.

The best method is to figure out where the stud is and mount to that
like with a new-work box.
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Har...ble/Item/SB1G/

Usually people don't install old-work boxes correctly and they end up
being loose.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *