Joseph Meehan

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
MPost wrote:

I have a bathroom sink that's against an outside wall. The vent for
the sink drain goes straight through the wall and then up outside
the house to the eaves. When it gets cold (single digits), the
water in the P-trap freezes into a solid plug and stops the sink
from draining. I've put as much insulation in as I can, but it still
freezes when it gets bitterly cold. Any ideas how I might be able to
resolve this without re-routing the vent line or boxing it in? I've
thought about placing a small hot pad around it or hanging a light
bulb near by, but this is a guest bathroom and it's a pedestal sink,
so anything that I put around the P-trap itself would be visible.

Leave the door under the sink open on cold nights.

On a pedestal sink Joseph?

That's about as helpful as my suggesting to him that he leaves a small
stream of hot water running all night. G

Jeff

I guess "I've put as much insulation in as I can" confused me. In any
case, I sure would want my guest bath to be a little warmer than that. It
sure would keep the guest on their toes. :-)

Speaking of freezing things:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/snow_text.html

Jeff

--